Are you looking for an easy and tasty tofu recipe? Then, I have a great one using tofu seasoned with gochujang.
This tofu is covered with cornstarch and deep-fried until it gets nicely brown. The important ingredient for the sauce is gochujang. Gochujang is a Korean ingredient that I love and use in so many recipes. It has a slight spice but also sweetness.
What is Sweet and Spicy Tofu Steak?
Tofu is really popular in Japan but this recipe is not a classic Japanese food that you can find at restaurants in Japan. This recipe is inspired by Agedashi-Dofu (or Agedashi-dofu). This is a popular Japanese appetizer and you can probably see it in formal dinner settings, Japanese food courses, or even Izakaya In Japan! Literally, making Agedashi-Dofu and cooking with some vegetables with original sweet and spicy sauce.
So you can’t find this meal in restaurants but if you like authentic Japanese food, then you should definitely try it!
Ingredients for this recipe
The ingredients for this recipe are so simple!
If you cook Asian food a lot, you probably have all the ingredients above! If not, they are all important or most-used ingredients for Japanese food so it’s worth having them!
What Kind of Tofu Should I Use?
For this recipe, I recommend using extra firm tofu or firm tofu. They are easy to cook and won’t break down! You can find them at local grocery stores usually but if not, Asian grocery stores have them for sure!
The tips to make the best tofu steak
There are 3 tips to make delicious tofu steak!
3 tips for this recipe
- Use cornstarch
- Cut the tofu into small pieces
- Be sure to remove excess moisture and water from tofu.
Using corn starch gives you crispier tofu steak. If you don’t mind the crispiness, you can use potato starch or katakuriko, but I love using corn starch when I want a little bit of crispiness. Cutting tofu into small pieces also helps make tofu crispier than larger pieces.
I am going to explain the 3rd one next!
Q&A Why do I have to remove excess water from tofu
So many people must be wondering why removing water/ microwaving water/ patting water is necessary. There are 2 big reasons.
- To make it easy to soak the taste in
- Becomes stronger so it doesn’t break
These are the 2 reasons why we have to make sure we remove the water from tofu!
Q&A Can I do pan-frying instead of deep-frying
Yes, you can! I want to post a pan-frying tofu recipe but here is how to do it!
- Use a non-stick pan with a little bit of vegetable or sesame oil
- Cook every surface of tofu. This takes more time than the deep-frying way
- Then add the rest of the ingredients (sauce and vegetables)
You can do pan-frying and still get the crispy tofu, but the only disadvantage is that it takes more time than deep-frying.
How to make Tofu Steak for lunch
CHECK We have Instagram and Pinterest too. Please stay connected and let us know how you are satisfied with our recipe!
Mild Spice Tofu Steak
- 1 Firm tofu
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
Mild Spicy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sake
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon gochujang
- 1/2 teaspoon hot water to melt gochujang
- 1/2 red onion
- green onion
- Japanese mayonnaise
- Sauce : In a small bowl, add soy sauce, sake, and mirin. Mix well.In a small bowl, add gochujang and hot water. Mix until the gochujang melts completely. Add it to the main sauce bowl.
- Vegetables(option) : Cut the red onion and green onion into small pieces.
Let's do deep-frying Tofu!
- Open the tofu package and cover it with a paper towel.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the covered tofu and microwave for 2 minutes. *My microwave is 600w
- Remove extra water with a paper towel after microwaving.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, add cornstarch and the cut tofu. Cover every surface of the tofu and remove extra starch.
- In a pan or pot, add about 2 cups of vegetable oil for frying. Turn the heat to medium and when the heat reaches 330°F(165.5°C), add the tofu. Deep fry for 4 minutes, then move to a wire rack to drain excess oil.
- In a frying pan, add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, and turn the heat to medium. Add cut vegetables and cook for 3 minutes. Skip if you don't want this step.
- Add the deep-fried tofu and the sauce you made. Stir for 2 minutes.
- If you want, adding Japanese mayonnaise is great!
Leave a Reply