Ebi ten is loved by so many generations. It is said that shrimp tempura is the most loved tempura for kids. It makes your day fulfilled and happy.
Deep fried shrimp on top of warm rice with some homemade tempura sauce is an amazing dish! Shrimp tempura one of the most popular types of tempura and this combination is a dream dish!
What is Ebi Ten
Ebi means shrimp and ten means tempura(Japanese deep fried dish). Ebi ten is a bowl dish that has shrimp tempura on top of the warm rice with some tempura sauce to finish. The shrimp are coated with flour, some recipes add eggs, then deep fried in oil.
Q&A : Which Shrimp Should I Use for Ebi Ten?
I recommend shrimp that are sold as either ‘Jumbo’ or ‘Large’. Some grocery stores sell just ‘large shrimp’ and don’t differentiate jumbo shrimp.
Q&A : What is the difference between Ebi Tempura and Ebi Fry
Ebi tempura is coated in flour and deep fried while Ebi fry is coated with flour, egg, and panko then deep fried. Both are popular Japanese dishes called western-style Japanese food.
Q&A : Which Flour should I Use for Ebi Ten
I recommend you use Tempura flour because it is easy to use when making tempura, but if you can’t buy it, there is a way to make Tempura flour!
The substitute for Tempura flour
1 cup of Cake flour + 1 Egg + 1 Cup of cold water = Tempura flour + cold water
This is a working substitute for tempura flour but I recommend you buy Tempura flour if it’s possible so you can make perfect tempura!
How to Clean the Shrimp Before Cooking
Remove the shell but leave the tail.
Remove the vein using toothpick.
Make 4-6 cuts on the belly side.
Cut the tail.
Add some katakuriko (potato starch) and mix well.
Add water to the bowl and wash using your hands. Then toss the water. Repeat this process, add water, wash, and toss the water, until the water stays clear. After that, remove excess water from the shrimp using a paper towel.
This is the preparation for Ebi ten!
Ingredients for Making Ebi Ten
- Jumbo Shrimp
- freshly ground black pepper
- tempura flour
- cold water
Similar Recipes to Ebi ten on Oishi Book
- 8 Jumbo Shrimp
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup tempura flour HERE to buy
- ¼ cup cold water You can add ice to the bowl to keep it cold
- neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc)
Let's cook ebi tempura!
- Add salt and black pepper to the shrimp.
- In a bowl, add tempura flour and water. Mix it roughly with chopsticks. Please do not mix well. You should still be able to see some unmixed flour powder and that is a perfect amount of mixing.
- In a deep pot, add enough oil to fill the pot 2 inches (5cm). Turn on the heat and bring the oil to 375℉ (190℃).
- When the oil reaches 375℉ (190℃), add a shrimp to the batter bowl and grab the tail, then gently put it into the oil pot. You can put 3-4 shrimps at a time. Deep fry for 1 minute.
- Take out the shrimp and move to a wire rack to drain excess oil.
Let's cook tempura sauce!
- In a deep pot, add water, sugar, mirin, soy sauce and dashi powder. Turn the heat to medium. Bring it to boil for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, turn the heat off.
- Prepare a bowl of rice. Then add the ebi tempura on top. Add the sauce you made on top.