Preparing shrimp properly is necessary. To make great shrimp tempura, please remember these steps!
These are the steps for preparing shrimp before making ebi tempura. Once you remember how to prepare your shrimp, it is easy to do!
Prepare Shrimp for Ebi Tempura
- Jumbo shrimp(s) or Large shrimp
- potato starch or Katakuriko or potato starch
- Take off the head first, and pull off the shell besides the tail. You should leave the tail.
- Take out the vein that runs along the back using a tooth pick. If you can’t find the vein, then don’t worry about it.
- Make 5 to 6 cuts on the belly side of the shrimp, and straighten the shrimp as much as possible in order to get them into a straight shape.
- Cut the tip of the shrimp tail to shape below.
- In a bowl, add the shrimp and mix with katakuriko.
- Add water to the bowl and wash the shrimp by lightly rubbing them. Then toss the water and wash with water again. Repeat until the water stays clear.
- Put the shrimp on a paper towel to remove excess water completely.