Beef curry is an easy dish that so many people love! Adding butter and some extra ingredients gives it a deeper taste than normal Japanese curry.
If you like Japanese Curry, I want to share a recipe that I really recommend! That is beef curry. I shared classic Japanese curry the other day, and maybe you have a question like ‘Does beef curry just change the meat of your basic curry recipe?’ The answer is Yes, and No. Of course you can use beef for the classic curry recipe but I prefer to make beef curry with a bit deeper taste than the classic one.
What is Beef Curry
Beef curry is simply curry with beef. But it uses Japanese curry roux and some ingredients to give it a deeper taste. I think this dish is more for adults than kids. I like all kinds of curry such as Dry Curry and Basic Japanese Curry, but this beef curry is also great!
What is the Difference from Classic Curry
The difference between the classic curry and beef curry is taste. As I mentioned earlier, beef curry has a much deeper taste and is maybe flavored more for adults, whereas with the classic curry, you can pick the level of spiciness and it has a simpler taste than beef curry. The classic curry uses Japanese curry roux and some vegetables but the beef curry uses Japanese curry roux, some ingredients (to give it a deeper taste), and vegetables.
Q&A How to Remove the Smell from Beef and Make it Softer
Some people wonder how to remove the smell from beef and I have the best answer! It is minced onion and olive oil! Onion removes any smell, makes the beef softer, and adds some sweetness from the onion. And also olive oil makes the beef softer and smell better. The recipe below includes all the instructions but here is how to make your beef softer and remove any smell.
- Cut the beef into a size that is easy to eat
- Mince onion
- In a Ziploc, add the minced onion and olive oil
- Add the beef into the Ziploc and close while removing any air
- Rub the beef into onion and olive oil
- Put it into the fridge at least 1 hour
This is the best way to make the beef softer and remove any smell 🙂 It is extra work but these steps make the dish more delicious! You can use this trick in any recipes that use beef.
Ingredients for Making Beef Curry
You can buy all the ingredients at your local grocery store but you might not find Japanese curry roux. You can buy Japanese curry roux on Amazon and it is affordable 🙂
Beef curry ingredients
- beef (soaked in minced onion and olive oil)
- vegetable oil
- minced garlic
- minced ginger
- unsalted butter
- bay leaf
- Worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
- Japanese curry roux
Q&A Which Japanese Curry Roux Should I Use?
It is depends on how much spice you want in curry. I like mild curry in general so I use mild curry roux but medium hot curry roux is also good for people like me who are not good with spicy food. Some people mix the two to get some spiciness between the mild and medium hot curry roux, but I think picking one level of curry roux is enough.
I recommend 2 curry brands.
Similar Recipes to Beef Curry on Oishi Book
- Basic Japanese Curry Recipe with Roux
- Hayashi Rice Recipe ( ハヤシライス)
- Butter Chicken Curry (バターチキンカレー）
- Katsu Curry Recipe (カツカレー)
- 150 g uncooked Japanese rice This is an article about rice
- 200 ml water
For the beef
- 100 g boneless beef chuck steak or boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 large onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 carrot about 150-170g
- 1/3 large onion about 75-90g
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic HERE to buy
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger HERE to buy
- 10 g unsalted butter
- 600 ml water
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce HERE to buy
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce HERE to buy
- 100 g Japanese curry roux I used this
- 【rice】Add uncooked rice to your rice cooker. Wash the rice 1-2 times with running water.
- 【rice】Use a mesh strainer to remove the water and move the washed rice to your rice cooker.
- 【rice】Add water and let's cook the rice!
- Cut beef chuck steak if necessary.
- Mince an onion. Then in a Ziploc, add the cut beef chuck steak, onion, and olive oil. Make sure all the air is out when closing the Ziploc.
- Put into the fridge and leave it for at least 1 hour.
- Cut carrot into chunks and thinly slice the onion.
- Take out the Ziploc from the fridge.Use a deep pot, turn the heat to medium and add vegetable oil. When the oil gets warm, add the marinated beef to the pan. Cook all the sides of the beef.
- Then, add the sliced onion, carrot, butter, ginger, and garlic, to the pot. Cook until the onion gets softer and clear in color.
- Turn the heat to medium and add water and make it boil.
- When boiling, turn the heat to low and remove the foam in the pot. Then add bay leaf. Cook another 1 hour 30 minutes with a lid.
- Open the lid, and take out the bay leaf from the pot.
- Then, turn the heat off once and add curry roux. Make sure it melts completely and turn the heat to medium low. Cook another 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add Worcestershire sauce, honey, soy sauce and cook another 10 minutes.
- This is a great dinner!