Japanese Katsu Curry is so juicy and a little bit spicy from the curry. Katsu curry is a combination of katsu, rice, and curry and it gives you so much energy!
Do you know Katsu curry? I think so many people know ‘Katsu’ and ‘Curry’ by themselves but there are not so many people who know that Katsu and Curry together makes the best main dish!
What is Katsu Curry?
Katsu Curry is a dish that has fried pork cutlet, rice, and is topped with curry. Some Japanese restaurants offer Katsu Curry but you can actually make it at home so easily! Katsu curry is also considered a big meal in Japan, so so many male office workers order katsu curry at lunch time in order to get energy for the afternoon!
Katsu curry ingredients are so simple. In this recipe, I introduce the easiest way to make katsu curry. The texture of curry is little running. We will use more water than the classic curry and slowly dissolving. I will explain later!
Ingredients for Katsu Curry
Similar Recipes to Katsu Curry on Oishi Book
- Beef Curry (ビーフカレー)
- Katsudon (かつ丼 – Pork Cutlet Rice Bowl)
- Basic Japanese Curry Recipe with Roux (カレー)
Katsu Curry Recipe
- 4 cubes Japanese curry roux 1 curry roux block is about 20g. I used mild curry.
- 550 g water
- 1/3 large onion 1/3 is about 75-90 g (Change depending on how many Serving you set)
- 1/2 teaspoon bouillon
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc)
- Let's make rice before start making curry or Katsu so that you will have the meal once Katsu is made! (Making rice is here)
- Make your pork katsu from "Pork Katsu Recipe". Once you get tips from this recipe, you can make the delicious katsu at home forever!
- Mince the onion.
- Use the medium pot and turn the heat to medium. Add oil, minced onion.
- After onion changes color, add water and bring to boiling.
- After boiling the water turn off at once. Add bouillon and the roux. Use chopsticks to help melting it.
- After all the roux has melted, turn the heat to medium low for 1 hour. The curry will be thicker as you cook more.*2
- Let's serve! Add rice, Katsu, and curry on the same plate!