Butter chicken curry is one of the most famous menus in Indian restaurants I would say. Deep rich taste curry and eat with naan or rice.
Do you want to try homemade butter chicken curry in Japanese taste? I can say Japanese way of butter chicken curry is much milder and simpler taste than Indian butter chicken curry. So if you are looking for a mild butter chicken curry recipe that is easy, quick, and taste mild, you are right to be here!
I have been using this recipe for ever and never failed. My family love it, so I want to share with so many people 🙂 I’ll explain later in the recipe, but I personally recommend to use tomato juice to make but if you love tomatoes and you are ok with chunks of tomatoes in the curry, you can replace tomato juice with diced tomato!
What is Butter Chicken Curry
Butter chicken curry is a dish originally popular in India. It is said it is made when making tandoori chicken that is marinated chicken in yogurt and spices, someone added leftover tomatoes and butter, and that is the start. Because butter and fresh cream are used, it has a rich flavor and is less spicy. Indian curry has a strong image of spiciness and spices, but butter chicken is exceptionally characterized by its mild taste.
Ingredients for making Butter Chicken Curry
I loved to go to curry restaurants in Japan and I didn’t even wonder how to make because it looked so difficult. But after trying making butter chicken by myself, I was surprised how easy it was and since then, I haven’t used any premade butter chicken curry or instant ones.
- boneless chicken thigh
- tomato juice
- shredded cheese
- whole milk
- Japanese curry roux
My recipe adds Japanese curry roux. You can buy it online or at an Asian grocery store. Besides curry roux, you can get all the ingredients at a local grocery store so easy!
How to eat Butter Chicken Curry
I love to eat butter chicken curry with rice, but I strongly recommend making naan. Naan is a type of bread that is perfect when you eat butter chicken curry. There are a lot of curry restaurants offer rice and naan when you order curry. You can buy naan at grocery stores but you can make it by your self!
Here is the naan recipe and this recipe is also easy and tasty one!
How to make Butter Chicken Curry
Butter chicken curry
- 400 g boneless chicken thigh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 large onion
- 10 g unsalted butter
- 200 g water
- 350 g tomato juice
- 2 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon bouillon
- 150 ml whole milk
- 25 g Japanese curry roux HERE to buy
- 10 g unsalted butter
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1 inch chunks and season lightly with salt.
- Cut onion into 1/2 inch wedges.
- Use a medium size pan and set to medium heat. Cook the chicken until both sides are cooked.
- After chicken is cooked, move them to a bowl. In the same pan, add cut onion, 10g butter, and minced garlic and cook on medium-low heat. Cook until the onion gets soft and clear.
- After onion is cooked, add cooked chicken back, water, diced tomatoes, ketchup, shredded cheese, sugar, and bouillon. Cook for 40 minutes with low heat.
- After 30 minutes, check if the water is absorbed. If it's still so much water, cook another 20 minutes.
- Add milk, Japanese curry roux, and 10g butter and cook for 10 minutes.