Japanese potato salad is made of mashed potatoes, eggs, and some vegetables flavored with Japanese mayonnaise. It is an extremely popular dish that’s easy to make at home and also offered at many restaurants.
Potato salad is probably one of the most well known Japanese dishes. Lots of tourists eat Japanese potato salad in Japan and become big fans of it. Potato salad is actually super easy to cook. The only secret to make the most tasty potato salad is to use Japanese mayonnaise.
Potato salad ingredients
In this article, I introduce the classic Japanese potato salad recipe. You only need 3 important ingredients and your favorite vegetables (your preference).
- Japanese mayonnaise
- Your preferred vegetables
So simple right? I think the most important ingredient is Japanese mayonnaise. So please make sure you use it. You can find it at Asian grocery stores or Amazon. I recommend Kewpie Mayonnaise.
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/4 onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 5 Tablespoon Japanese mayonnaise here to buy
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper If you want.
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Egg - Boil water in a medium pot on medium heat. When the water starts boiling, turn the heat to medium-low and add eggs. Boil for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn the heat off and toss the cold water.Put boiled eggs into a bowl and add cold water to remove the shell easily. Soak for 5 minutes then peel the shell.
- Potato - Peel the potatoes and wash them. Then cut them into about 1 inch cubes.Put the cut potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and cover with cling wrap. Microwave for 7 minutes. My microwave is 800w so depending on what wattage of microwave, adjust the time.Try to stick the potatoes with a fork, and if the fork goes in smoothly, the potatoes are ready to be used!
- Slice cucumber thinly. Cut carrot and onion thinly then microwave them for 2-3 minutes to make them softer.
2. Let's cook
- Add potatoes, eggs, salt, and rice vinegar in a large bowl and mash them well.
- Add the vegetables (onion, carrot, cucumber) in the large bowl. Mix them by folding them in so you don't smash them.
- Add Japanese mayonnaise and mix thoroughly.
- Lastly, add black paper to finish!