Naan is the best to eat with butter chicken curry! This is the perfect naan recipe you can make so easily at home!
Do you love naan? And do you know naan is super easy to make?
In Japan, there are tons of curry restaurants and they offer delicious naan with curry all the time. Usually each curry restaurant has some types of naan such as garlic naan, cheese naan or other naans. In this recipe, I will share the easiest, most simple naan recipe that you can try today!
What is naan
Nan means bread in Persian, and it is popular all over the world, mainly in Central Asian countries such as Pakistan, Iran, Egypt, including India where it originated.
Naan is is a type of flat bread that originated in India and is made by rolling out a thin dough and baking it. Many of you may have eaten it at an Indian curry restaurant. These days, you can buy naan bread at any grocery store and it has become a more familiar food.
How is naan eaten
Naan is a perfect bread for curry, especially, it is so good with butter chicken curry. I love having naan as much as rice when I make butter chicken curry. Many curry restaurants not only in Japan but also in the US offer curry with naan and rice choices on a plate. You can enjoy both tastes.
However, I personally dislike having naan with Japanese curry.
What ingredients do I need for making naan
It’s super simple ingredients and you won’t struggle finding them at a local grocery store!
- all purpose flour
- dry yeast
Before trying to make naan by my self, I always bought a naan making package at Muji(無印良品). They used to sell a 2 person naan homemade package and it was good(I don’t know if they sell them anymore). But since I learned the easy and simple naan recipe that anyone can try to make, I have been making my own way!
How to make Naan
When you make traditional naan, you need a large tandoor oven and I know many of us can’t have it. But my recipe, anyone can try to make delicious naan!
When you make Naan, please use Butter chicken curry first!
Similar Recipes to Naan on Oishi Book
- Tamago Sand(卵サンド – Egg Sandwiches)
- American Dog (アメリカンドッグ : Corn Dog)
- The Best Homemade Curry Pan (カレーパン – Curry Bread)
- 200 g all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 g unsalted butter
- 150 ml warm water about 80F° (26c°)
- unsalted butter for finishing
- all purpose flour for dusting
To make dough
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Add butter in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds to melt.
- Use a medium or large bowl and add flour. Flatten the flour and indent the middle.
- Add sugar and dry yeast into the indent. Add melted butter and salt on the side outside of the indent so they are separate from sugar and dry yeast.
- Add warm water into the indent with the sugar and dry yeast.
- Mix by folding everything until you can lift up the dough.
- Tap the dough in the bowl for 5 minutes. It's ready if the dough barely sticks in the bowl.
- Roll the dough and put in a medium size clear bag or cover the bowl with cling wrap.
- Keep the dough at room temperature for 30 minutes.
To make naan bread
- Cut the dough into 4 and roll each piece.
- Add flour for dusting on a cutting board and spread each piece so it is 7-8 inches (17-20cm) long and 0.2 inches (0.7cm) thick.
- Use a medium or large pan and cook two pieces at a time. Cook on high heat for 30 seconds. Then turn to medium heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add some butter while it's warm!