Egg sand (sandwich) is an easy lunch that is famous in Japan! It needs super simple ingredients that you can find at local grocery stores.
have you ever heard of Tamago Sand? When I was a kid, it was super popular and all moms made it for their kid’s lunch or for bento box. Nowadays it is not as popular in Japan. I asked my youngest sister if she liked Tamago Sand and she said she only had it once and didn’t remember it well. To me, it was a surprise.
What is Tamago Sand (Egg Sandwiches)
Tamago sand means egg sandwiches. There are all types of egg sandwiches in the world but Japanese Tamago Sand uses boiled eggs with Japanese mayonnaise and some other ingredients. We don’t put many ingredients because the egg is the focus.
Where Tamago Sand Comes from Originally
There are so many egg sandwiches in the world but this style of egg sandwich is from Japan. Other country’s egg sandwiches usually add more ingredients such as lettuce, tomatoes, or seasoning to the sandwich, but Japanese egg sandwich’s main focus is egg and we don’t want to bother it with other ingredients.
Ingredients for making Tamago Sand (Egg Sandwiches)
Here are ingredients for making Tamago Sand!
- Salt and black pepper
Some recipes are suggesting to add butter on the toast, but I want the eggs to pop as much as possible so I don’t add butter usually.
How to make Tamago Sand
CHECK Please follow Instagram and Pinterest to get the latest recipes! DM or comment me on Instagram if you have any questions or feedback!
- 2 slices white bread or pick your favorite bread
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon Japanese mayonnaise
- Toast - Cut the crust.
- EGG - Boil the water, and after boiling add egg(s) for 10 minutes. This is the best cooking time for Tamago sand.
- EGG - Prepare a bowl and add ice with water. After cooking, add the egg(s) into the ice water in order to peel the egg shell well.After peeling, pat with a paper towel to remove water.
- Bread - cut the crust off the bread.
- In a small bowl, add the boiled eggs and smash them. *Don't smash them too small.
- Add salt, sugar, black pepper, and Japanese mayonnaise. Mix everything well but do not overmix.
- Add the egg mixture on one piece of toast. Then place the other piece of bread to close.
- Prepare a piece of cling wrap that is large enough to cover everything.
- Place the toast on top of the cling wrap. Close it tight.
- Cut into the middle!
- This is a good sized lunch or snack 🙂
Leave a Reply