Egg sand (sandwich) is an easy lunch that is famous in Japan! It only needs super simple ingredients that you can find at local grocery stores.
Have you ever heard of Tamago Sand? When I was a kid, it was super popular and all moms made it for their kid’s lunch or for a bento box. Nowadays it is not as popular in Japan. I asked my youngest sister if she liked Tamago Sand and she said she only had it once and didn’t remember it well. To me, it was a surprise.
What is Tamago Sand (Egg Sandwiches)
Tamago sand means egg sandwiches. There are all types of egg sandwiches in the world but Japanese Tamago Sand uses boiled eggs with Japanese mayonnaise and some other ingredients. Since the last time I posted this recipe, I updated my recipe a bunch because I wanted to cook my Tamago sand as close as possible to how it’s done in Japanese convenience stores in Japan. So my recipe updated a bunch!
Where Tamago Sand Comes from Originally
There are so many egg sandwiches in the world but this style of egg sandwich is from Japan. Other country’s egg sandwiches usually add more ingredients such as lettuce, tomatoes, or seasoning to the sandwich, but Japanese egg sandwich’s main focus is egg and we don’t want to bother it with other ingredients.
Ingredients for making Tamago Sand (Egg Sandwiches)
Here are ingredients for making Tamago Sand!
- Salt and black pepper
Some recipes are suggesting to add butter on the toast, but I want the eggs to pop as much as possible so I don’t add butter usually.
Similar Recipes to Tamago Sand on Oishi Book
- The Best Homemade Curry Pan (カレーパン – Curry Bread)
- Katsu Sand (カツサンド – Japanese Fried Pork Cutlet Sandwiches )
- Homemade McDonald’s Tsukimi Burger (月見バーガー – Moon Gazing burger)
- 4 slices white bread or pick your favorite bread
- 2 large egg(s)
- 3 Tablespoon Japanese mayonnaise HERE to buy
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- Toast – Cut the crust if you want a classic one. I like crust so I leave as it is.
- EGG – Boil the water, and after boiling add the eggs for 10 minutes. This is the best cooking time for Tamago sand.
- EGG – Prepare a bowl and add ice water. After cooking, add the egg(s) into the ice water in order to peel the egg shell well. After peeling, pat with a paper towel to remove water.
- Prepare a small bowl, and add only the yolks from the boiled eggs. Move the whites from the boiled eggs to a cutting board.
- Cut the white into small pieces.
- Smash the yolk until it smooth.
- Add Japanese mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, lemon juice, black pepper, and salt to the egg yolk bowl. Mix everything well.
- Add the cut whites into the bowl and mix everything.
- Add the egg mixture on one piece of toast. Then place the other piece of toast to close.
- Prepare a piece of parchment paper that is large enough to cover everything. Place the toast on top of the parchment paper. Wrap it tightly.
- Cut in half!
- This is a good sized lunch or snack 🙂