American dog aka corn dog is a popular convenience store item. This is a perfect snack for when you are a little bit hungry but don’t want to eat a full meal! It is deliciously slightly sweet and salty.
A beloved convenience store snack is the American dog. It is funny, when I am in Japan or see the words of ‘American dog’ in Japanese, I don’t think it sounds weird. But when I type it, yes, it sounds weird.
What is American Dog (Corn Dog)
American dog is a popular snack in Japan. American dog is also known as a corn dog. Hot dogs or fish sausages(I’ve never seen it in the US) are skewered and covered in a batter made from flour or pancake mix, then deep fried.
American dog is also sometimes called a French dog, but mostly in Hokkaido in northern Japan. American dog is eaten with ketchup and mustard whereas some article says French dog is eaten with sugar in Hokkaido but I haven’t tried it myself.
Where does American Dog originally from
In fact, American dog was first named in Japan, but there are no other countries that call this dish American dog. However, similar foods are eaten all over the world. In the US, it is called a corn dog.
The corn dog was born in the 20th century and is a relatively new food. However, the origin and inventor have not been found, and the details are unknown.
What is the difference between American Dog and Corn Dog
A similar food as American dog exists in the United States, but it is called ‘corn dog’ as I mentioned.
American dog and corn dog look similar, but the texture is different. Unlike American dogs, corn dogs use corn flour as the main batter ingredient instead of regular flour.
Ingredients for making American Dog
Making American dog is super easy! These are ingredients you need for making delicious American dog!
- cake flour
- baking powder
- hot dog
That’s all! In Japanese cooking recipes sometimes we use fish sausage that is eaten in Japan, but I have never seen it in the states so please use hot dogs!
How to make American Dog
American Dog (Corn Dog)
- skewer HERE to buy
- 1 large egg(s)
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 40 ml whole milk
- 75 g cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 hot dog
- 1 Table spon all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil to deep fry
- Prepare a medium bowl and on top of that, use a fine mesh to sift and add cake flour and baking powder.
- Cut the hot dog in half. Then Insert a toothpick or a skewer into the cutoff end of each hot dog. Then, cover each hot dog with a thin coat of all-purpose flour.
- In a bowl, add egg and sugar and mix them.
- Add the cake flour and baking powder to the mixture bowl.
- Add milk to the bowl and mix well.
- In a deep pot or pan, add 3-4 inches of oil (or enough oil for hot dogs). Then, turn the heat to 340°F (171°C).
- Meanwhile move the mixture into a tall glass. Dip each hot dog into the batter. Make sure it's completely coated. Let the excess batter drip off so it is evenly coated.
- Add 2-3 hot dogs into the 340°F (171°C) oil and cook until they turn deep golden brown. (It's about 3 minutes)
- Move to a wire rack to drain excess oil. (Or paper towel)
- Do the rest of the hot dogs!
- This is a perfect snack! Add some ketchup and mustered for taste.