Karaage on top of cooked rice. This is Karaage-don, which means fried chicken rice bowl. The Karaage is marinated in soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar, served with Japanese mayonnaise and green onion on top.
Karaage is usually crispy but this Karaage-don is chewie because it’s cooked with sauce and flour. But trust me, this version is great! Karaage-don is not so famous outside of Japan, but this is a famous lunch item in Japan. Quick, reasonably priced, and tasty. You can make it at home!
- 350 g cooked rice HERE is how to make rice
- 2 egg
- 200 g boneless chicken thigh
- 1 Tablespoon sake
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sake
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon potato starch or Katakuriko
Topping (This is options)
- Japanese mayonnaise
- red onion
- white sesame seeds
- Rice : HERE is how to make rice!
- Egg: In a pot, add enough water to just cover the eggs. Bring it to a boil.After boiling, add the eggs for exactly 8 minutes. An 8-minute-boiling gives a slightly runny egg and it's perfect for this!
Preparation - Karaage
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch chunks. Small size is better for Karaage don.
- In a bowl, add cut chicken thigh and sake and mix well.
- Prepare all-purpose flour and potato starch or cornstarch in separate bowls.
- Then, dredge the chicken in the potato starch and remove extra starch.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a pot and heat the oil to 325ºF (163ºC). When oil is heated to 325ºF (163ºC), gently put each chicken piece into the oil. Add 3-5 pieces at a time, otherwise the oil temperature will drop and doesn't cook well.
- Deep fry for 3 minutes, until you can see both sides get a nice golden color. After 3 minutes in the oil, move to a wire rack to drain excess oil.
Let's make Karaage-don
- Use a medium pan, turn the heat to medium. Add soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar. Bring it to boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Add potato starch (or katakuriko) and mix lightly.
- Add Karaage into the pot. Mix everything thoroughly.When there is no more extra sauce, turn the heat off.
- You can make 2 bowls. In a bowl, add rice first, then lettuce (optional), Karaage, and boiled egg. Add the Japanese mayonnaise and white sesame seeds!