The best ramen always comes with a delicious egg on top. The outside color is beautiful brown and the inside is wonderfully creamy. This type of egg is called Nitamago (煮卵) and it is actually super easy to make.
Have you ever thought about if you were able to make the egg you get when you order Ramen? I am a big fan of these eggs and I always check if it is included in the Ramen I’m ordering. The Ramen egg is called Nitamago (煮卵). Ni (煮) means boiled and tamago (卵) means egg. Now you can make these delicious eggs at home without any failures instead of having to go to the Ramen restaurant!
What are the ingredients for Ramen eggs (Nitamago)?
I am going to introduce how to make Nitamago step by step but the only ingredients you need are:
That’s all. So easy and tasty. I love to add Nitamago on top of ramen, but some people eat it just by itself.
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
For making boiled egg
- Use a medium size pot and add water (water should be covering eggs). Turn the heat to medium.
- After boiling the water, add eggs from the fridge and boil for 7-8 minutes.*1
- After boiling the eggs, turn the heat off and put the pot in the sink and run the cold water for about 2 minutes. Soaking in cold water helps for removing the Egg shells.
- Remove the shells.
For making ramen egg
- Use a small pot and heat on medium. Add mirin to the pot and boil to allow the alcohol to evaporate. After boiling for 1 minute, turn the heat off and let it cool down. You don't need to cool down completely, just not hot enough to safely add to a Ziplock bag.
- Use a medium size Ziplock and add boiled eggs, soy sauce, boiled mirin, sugar, and water.
- Release air when you close.
- Put in the fridge for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, take out the eggs from the fridge and cut down the middle! You can use a knife but I recommend using a string for a cleaner cut.
- Let's serve! You can use it as topping on Ramen, or people just eat as side dish!