Ramen egg aka Nitamago or Ajitama is an amazing addition to ramen! The best ramen always comes with a delicious egg on top. The outside color is beautiful brown and the inside is wonderfully creamy.
Have you ever thought about if you were able to make the egg you get when you order Ramen? I am a big fan of these eggs and I always check if it is included in the Ramen I’m ordering. The Ramen egg is called Nitamago (煮卵) or Ajitama (味玉). Ni (煮) means boiled and tamago (卵) means egg. Aji means taste or seasoned and Tama came from egg in Japanese. Now you can make these delicious eggs at home without any failures instead of having to go to the Ramen restaurant!
What is Nitamago (Ajitama)
Nitamago aka Ajitama means ramen eggs. When you order ramen, it comes on top! Nitamago is a soft boiled egg seasoned with some ingredients such as mirin, sugar, and soy sauce. You can also eat it with a bowl of rice and it is just as tasty!
What Are the Ingredients for Ramen Eggs (Nitamago)?
I am going to introduce how to make Nitamago step by step but the only ingredients you need are:
That’s all. So easy and tasty. I love to add Nitamago on top of ramen, but some people eat it just by itself.
Similar Recipes to Ramen Eggs on Oishi Book
For making boiled egg
- Use a medium size pot and add water (there should be enough to cover the eggs). Turn the heat to medium.
- After boiling the water, add eggs from the fridge and boil for 8 minutes.*1
- After boiling the eggs, turn the heat off and put the pot in the sink and run the eggs under cold water for about 2 minutes. Soaking in cold water helps for removing the Egg shells.
- Remove the shells.
For making ramen egg
- Use a small pot and heat on medium. Add mirin to the pot and boil to allow the alcohol to evaporate. After boiling for 1 minute, turn the heat off and let it cool down. You don't need to cool down completely, just cool enough to safely add to a Ziplock bag.
- Use a medium size Ziplock and add boiled eggs, soy sauce, boiled mirin, sugar, and water.
- Remove all air when you close the bag.
- Put in the fridge for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, take the eggs out from the fridge and cut down the middle! You can use a knife but I recommend using a string for a cleaner cut.
- Let's serve! You can use it as topping on Ramen, or people just eat as a side dish!