Mushroom pasta seasoned with soy sauce and butter is a very popular dish in japan. You’ll be surprised by just how tasty this pasta dish is!
This is a popular dish in cafés in Japan. I know so many people would ask ‘Is this a thing in Japan?’. Well, it’s not traditional Japanese food but it’s too tasty not to share!
Mushroom pasta seasoned with soy sauce and butter
- 200 g spaghetti
- 1/2 tsp garlic I used minced garlic
- 4 slices bacon
- 50 g mushrooms You can pick any type of mushroom. Many people mix a few mushrooms to make this dish. This time, I only used crimini mushrooms but shiitake are my favorite!
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil I used olive oil.
- 1/3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 g butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp pasta water Scoop 2 tbsps of water/dashi from the pot you used to boil the pasta after it's finished cooking. If you forget before throwing away the water/dashi it's okay but it does make the dish extra tasty.
topping (only if you want)
- 1 green onion topping
- Dashi - make dashi which we'll use instead of water for boiling our pasta. You can skip this step and use water instead for making pasta, but I personally recommend using dashi for Japanese pasta recipes.How to make dashi is HERE.
- Pasta - In a medium pot, add dashi (or water) and salt. When it's boiling, add spaghetti and cook for about 8 minutes. If you use dashi to make pasta, PLEASE keep 2 tbsp from the pasta pot before straining your pasta. We will use it later.
- Ingredients - Cut the bacon and cook through. Slice the mushrooms. Bake or cook bacon before you use. I use my oven to bake bacon. Bake the bacon at 400°F (205°C) for 15 minutes
- Topping - If you want, chop the green onion into small pieces.
Make Mushroom Pasta
- In a medium pan, turn the heat to medium and add olive oil (or sesame oil) and garlic. Cook for a minute.
- Add cooked bacon, mushrooms, our pasta water/dashi, freshly ground black pepper, butter, and soy sauce. Cook through.
- Add pasta and stir well. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Let's serve! After serving add cut green onion on top of the pasta as a topping!