Yaki Udon is a stir-fried noodle dish seasoned with a savory sauce. This is a traditional and classic Japanese food. Yaki Udon is great for lunch, dinner, events, home parties, and snacks!
Udon is usually a dish served with dashi tsuyu (soup) but Yaki Udon is also a classic Japanese Udon dish. It’s stir-fried noodles with some vegetables and meat and seasoned with a savory sauce. You see this at Japanese festivals(omatsuri : お祭り) in Japan. However, because of how much it is easy to make, many people love this dish because it’s a quick, tasty, and perfect meal that they can make at home.
In this recipe I use pork belly but you can use chicken, beef, or seafood. You can also make it vegetarian!
- 2 pack udon
- 200 g pork pork belly is recommended but if you can't find it, any meat can be substituted!
- 1/3 carrot
- 1/4 large onion
- 3 leaves cabbage
- 3 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 green onion
- 1 tsp neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sake
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dashi powder Here to buy dashi powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- katsuobushi here to buy katsuobushi
- In a large pot add water where so it's 3/4 full. Bring it to a boil. After boiling add noodles and cook for 1 minute. Strain the water out.
- Slice onion into 0.8 inch chunks and slice the carrot thinly. Cut the green onion 1 inch long pieces, the cabbage 0.5 chunks, and the shiitake mushrooms into 1 inch size pieces.
- Cut the meat (I use pork here) into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Cook the meat first. Cook both sides well. Move the cooked meat to a bowl or plate for now.
- Add cut onion and vegetable oil into the pan and cook with medium heat until the onion gets softer and the color turns clear.
- Add meat back and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add carrot, green onion, cabbage, and shiitake mushrooms into the pan. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.When everything is cooked well, the volume of the ingredients should be about 1/2 of what your started with.
- Add Udon and stir and turn the heat higher. Add the sauce ingredients (soy sauce, sake, sugar, and sesame oil) and cook for 3 minutes. Mix it all together!
- Prepare a plate and the Serve Yaki Udon! As an option, on top of the Yaki Udon, add katsuobushi! I think this is worth adding 🙂