Curry Udon is an easy and quick dish to make using leftover curry. The rich and flavorful curry combined with thick and chewy udon noodles fills up your hungry stomach!
Curry Udon is a classic Japanese food in Japan and it is super easy to make if you already have leftover curry from the day before! When I was a student, this was Kyushoku (school lunch) sometimes. I was so excited to eat when the kyushoku menu was curry udon. But it is easy to skip over curry udon when eating out (for me) so I don’t know the last time I ordered curry udon at a restaurant. When you remember and have this amazing dish, you realize all over again how amazing it is!
What is Curry Udon
Curry Udon is a popular but probably hidden Japanese dish. What I mean is, it is well known but easy to forget. But once you recall, you are like ‘this is an amazing dish!’.
What is Curry Udon then? Curry udon is simply curry with udon noodles. The noodles are chewy and thick, the curry is flavorful. It is a really easy dish to make if you have leftover curry at home.
The Ingredients for Making Curry Udon
The ingredients are so simple too. I use leftover curry from curry rice from the day before when making curry udon. Who doesn’t love leftover dishes? I love leftover dishes haha! Anyway, if you don’t have leftover curry, you should make it before making curry from Basic Japanese Curry Recipe with Roux!
Here are the Ingredients for making curry udon!
- left over curry
- green onion – if you want
About Mentsuyu, I use 4 times deep Mentsuyu and I use this mentsuyu at home all the time and in all of my recipes using Mentsuyu. So if you don’t have it, please buy it! It is super useful to have and you can make so many dishes such as Salmon Mayo Don, Oyakodon, and Tamago Don.
Which Noodles Do I Need for Making Curry Udon
I recommend you use frozen Udon instead of dried udon because I think the frozen one has a richer chewy texture than dried ones.
If you go to an Asian grocery store, you can definitely find it but at local grocery stores, maybe it is difficult to find udon noodles. At my local grocery store, there are frozen Udon noodles so I am lucky but if not, instant udon on Amazon is fine! There are instructions on how to cook the udon noodles on the back of each package, but frozen udon is usually done about 3 minutes after water starts boiling.
How to make Curry Udon
Printable recipe is available in the recipe down below but here is the basic instructions how to make Curry udon!
- Prepare a leftover curry
- Make udon noodles
- In a pot, add water, mentsuyu, and leftover curry
- After boiling, add the udon noodles in the pot
- After mixing curry and udon noodles, move it to a bowl
- If you want, add green onion on top as a topping!
Super easy right?
CHECK Please follow Instagram and Pinterest to get the latest recipes! DM or comment me on Instagram if you have any questions or feedback!
- 150 ml left over curry
- 1 Tablespoon mentsuyu HERE to buy
- 1 pack Udon
- 100 ml water
- 1 green onion if you want
- If you don't have leftover curry, please make curry first! This is the recipe for making curry 🙂
- In a medium pot, add enough water to cover the udon. Turn the heat to medium and when the water boils, add udon and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain the water.
- In a medium pot, add curry, mentsuyu, and water. Turn the heat to medium and stir.
- Add the udon and bring the water to a boil. When the water boils, turn the heat off.
- Add some green onion on top if you want!
Leave a Reply