A fluffy egg on top of warm rice with a dashi-based sauce. This is Tamago-don. The ingredients are so simple and you can make it in less than 10 minutes and it is extremely tasty!
Tamago-don is a dish that has a fluffy and soft egg on top of rice with a dashi based sauce. It’s perfect for when you need something fast and easy to cook. Tamago(卵丼 or 玉子丼) means egg and Don means donburi, which is a term for Japanese rice bowl dishes. We also have Oyako-don that is made with onions, chicken, and egg. So, Tamago-don is the egg-based version of ‘Oyako’-don.
When I was a kid, there was a Washoku(和食) restaurant near my house. Washoku means Japanese-style meal and that restaurant was my family’s go-to restaurant. At the restaurant, I always order Tamago don. Tamago don is so sweet and savory, and that is one of a great memory of food in my childhood.
Ingredients for making Tamago don
There are 2 important ingredients that you should have for making Tamago don. Which are mentsuyu and mirin. Those two are the ingredients that most Japanese house have and there are so many recipes use these ingredients. So if you love to cook Japanese food, I recommend you to have them!
Substitution of Mentsuyu
I understand so many people don’t have mentsuyu at home. But if you love to cook Japanese food, it’s worth having it because there are a lot of Japanese recipes use mentsuyu.
Here is the Substitution
Mentsuyu 60ml (for 2 person recipe) = soy sauce 30ml, sake 30ml, dashi powder 2g, sugar 5g
Having mentsuyu is the best way to make Tamago don but you can make similar taste using above. But I think there are so many people also don’t have dashi powder so if you don’t mind, I strongly recommend you to get mentsuyu.
Other bowl recipes
Please try other donburi recipes:)
- 350 g rice Here is how to cook rice.
Tamago don Ingredients
- 1/4 large onion It's about 55g - 65g.
- 4 large eggs
- 50 ml mentsuyu You can buy mentsuyu from HERE
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 150 ml water
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Slice onion into 1 inch chunks.
- In a small bowl, add eggs and beat them.
- In a medium pot add mentsuyu, water, soy sauce, sugar, and mirin on medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- After boiling, add sliced onion and cook until the onion turns clear. (About 7 minutes).
- Turn the heat to high and add the beaten egg.
- Turn off the heat when the egg is about 1/2 cooked then cover with a lid for 3 minutes.
- Let's serve! In a medium bowl add rice first and pour the egg mixture on top.