Agedashi Dodu is a cozy comfort food that everyone loves in Japan. It is extremely filling and healthy. It is famous and eaten in Izakayas, at home, and in onsens!
Have you had Agedashi dofu? It is extremely good and I want everyone to try this dish!
What is Agedashi Dofu?
Agedashi dofu is a tofu dish which is coated with potato starch or wheat flour and deep-fried in oil. It’s a dish that can be found in izakayas(bars in Japan), so many people must have eaten it before.
Where can I eat Agedashi Dofu?
In the states, it is extremely difficult to find restaurants where you can find Agedashi dofu. In Japan, you can find it easily! You can find it at restaurants, Izakayas, or onsen ryokans(hot spring hotels).
What are the ingredients for Agedashi Dofu?
Here are the ingredients for making Agedashi dofu!
- firm tofu
- katakuriko or potato starch
- neutral-flavored for deep frying
- dashi powder
- soy sauce
How to make Agedashi Dofu?
CHECK Please follow Instagram and Pinterest to get the latest recipes! DM or comment me on Instagram if you have any questions or feedback!
- 1 pack firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoon katakuriko or potato starch
- neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc) for deep frying. Add as much as you need
- 200 ml water
- 1 teaspoon dashi powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- green onion
- grated daikon (japanese radish)
- Open the tofu package and cover it with a paper towel.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the covered tofu and microwave for 2 minutes. *My microwave is 600w
- Remove extra water with a paper towel after microwaving.
- Cut tofu into 4 cubes.
- Cover the cut tofu with the katakuriko (or potato starch). Remove extra katakuriko.
- In a pan, add enough oil to cover half of the tofu. Turn the heat to medium and bring it to 340°F (171°C).
- Add 2 of the tofu.*1 Deep fry for 3 minutes. While deep frying, turn all the sides in order to cook all the surfaces.
- Move to a wire rack to drain excess oil.
- In a pan, turn the heat to medium low and add water and dashi powder. Cook until the dashi powder is dissolved.
- Add soy sauce and mirin, then bring it to boil once and boil for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, add the deep fried tofu and add the sauce. If you prefer, add grated daikon, and small pieces of cut green onion.
Leave a Reply