Spaghetti with a ketchup based sauce is called Napolitan in Japan and this is a really classic Japanese pasta recipe. Napolitan is a very common menu item at many old style cafes in Japan. The taste is really mild so this is a really popular meal for kids!
Do you know Napolitan? Napolitan is spaghetti with a ketchup based sauce and it has green peppers, onion, and hotdogs. This is a Yoshoku style meal.
Nowadays, there are lots of young Japanese people that don’t know Napolitan and it makes me so sad. When I was a child, I saw Napolitan on the menu at lots of family style restaurants. I don’t see it as much as I used to, but if you go to an old style café which is called Kissaten (喫茶店), you will probably find it!
My mom used to make Napolitan for lunch and it was one of my favorite meals. Whenever I said I was hungry, she would cook it for me. It is really easy to make and only takes 15 minutes to prepare. I love easy, tasty food that I can cook in a short time.
I know ketchup spaghetti is an unusual meal for many people but you should give it a shot!
- 200 g spaghetti
- 1/3 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 90 g hotdog sausage
- 10 g unsalted butter
- 8 tbsp ketchup
- 6 mushrooms
- parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tbsp spaghetti water
- 100 ml whole milk
- 1/3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- Ingredients - Cut green pepper, onion, and hotdogs to a size that are easy to eat.
- Sauce - In a medium bowl, add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, whole milk, sugar, and black pepper and mix everything well.
- Spaghetti - In a medium or large pot, turn the heat to medium and add water and plenty of salt. After boiling the water, add spaghetti and cook for 8 minutes.
- In a medium pan, add butter and onion with medium heat. Cook until the onion is softer and clear in color.
- Add hotdogs and green peppers in the pan.
- After everything is cooked, put them in a plate or bowl and add the sauce you just made to the pan. Cook with medium heat.
- When the sauce starts boiling, add the cooked ingredients back.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and water to the pan. Mix through.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve on a plate and add parmesan cheese on top. This is great for lunch!