Napolitan is Spaghetti with a ketchup based sauce and this is a really popular Japanese pasta recipe. Napolitan is a very common menu item at many old style cafes in Japan. The taste is really mild so this is a really popular meal for kids!
Do you know Napolitan? Napolitan is spaghetti with a ketchup based sauce and it has green peppers, onion, and hotdogs. This is a Yoshoku style meal.
Nowadays, there are lots of young Japanese people that don’t know Napolitan and it makes me so sad. When I was a child, I saw Napolitan on the menu at lots of family style restaurants. I don’t see it as much as I used to, but if you go to an old style café which is called Kissaten (喫茶店), you will probably find it!
My mom used to make Napolitan for lunch and it was one of my favorite meals. Whenever I said I was hungry, she would cook it for me. It is really easy to make and only takes 15 minutes to prepare. I love easy, tasty food that I can cook in a short time.
I know ketchup spaghetti is an unusual meal for many people but you should give it a shot!
What is Napolitan (Japanese Ketchup Spaghetti)
Sounds Italian but actually ‘Napolitan’ is a pasta dish created in Japan. It is a uniquely Japanese spaghetti dish that is seasoned with tomato ketchup and stir-fried. It is said to have been invented at Hotel New Grand in Yokohama in the 1940s. This is a classic pasta dish that is loved by all generations at old style cafés which are called Kissaten (喫茶店), but because how easy to make it at home, there are many parents make this for kids for their lunch. By the way, there is no dish called Neapolitan in Naples, Italy, the home of spaghetti.
Ingredients for Sake Takenoko Takikomi Gohan
- large onion
- green pepper
- hotdog sausage
- vegetable oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- pasta water
- whole milk
- freshly ground black pepper
Similar Recipes to Napolitan on Oishi Book
- Avocado Wasabi Spaghetti (アボカドとワサビのパスタ)
- Butter Soy Sauce Tuna Spaghetti (バター醤油ツナパスタ)
- Meat Sauce Pasta (ミートソースパスタ : Spaghetti with Meat Sauce)
- 200 g spaghetti
- 1/2 large onion 1/2 is about about 115-135 g (Change depending on how many Serving you set)
- 1 green pepper 1 is about about 175-200 g (Change depending on how many Serving you set)
- 90 g hotdog sausage
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 10 g unsalted butter
- 8 Tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce HERE to buy
- 4 Tablespoon pasta water
- 100 ml whole milk
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Ingredients – Cut green pepper and onion into thinly sliced. Cut hotdogs to a size that are easy to eat.
- Spaghetti – In a medium or large pot, turn the heat to medium and add water and plenty of salt. After boiling the water, add spaghetti and cook for 10 minutes.*1Please save pasta water before tossing water.
- In a medium pan, add vegetable oil and the onion with medium heat. Cook until the onion is softer and clear in color.
- Add hotdogs, green peppers, and sugar in the pan. Cook until the green pepper gets more bright color. It's about 3-5 minutes.
- After everything is cooked, put them by the side of the pan. Then add ketchup to the empty side. Cook until the ketchup gets boiling and boil for 1 minute.*2
- Then mix everything.
- Add unsalted butter, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pasta water, whole milk, and freshly ground black pepper to the pan. Mix once.
- Then add the cooked pasta and mix everything. Turn the heat to high and cook until there is no liquid. It's about 4-6 minutes.
- Serve on a plate and add Parmesan cheese on top. This is great for lunch!