Chicken katsu is chicken breast covered with panko and deep-fried. It is crispy and easy to cook. Chicken katsu with warm rice is really good but you can make it into a delicious chicken katsu sandwich too!
Do you love katsu? Usually, katsu means pork katsu but did you know chicken katsu is also super tasty?
What is Chicken Katsu
Chicken katsu is made of chicken breast covered with flour, egg, and panko. Then deep fry to get golden brown color. Similar to Tonkatsu, the outside is so crispy, and the inside is juicy. Katsu means cutlet in Japanese. It is great for a side of warm cooked rice.
In Japan, tonkatsu is of course widespread but there are so many restaurants or bakery store has menu that uses chicken katsu. Chicken Katsu sand(sandwich) is a one of the famous ones.
Difference between Tonkatsu and Chicken Katsu
What is the difference between tonkatsu and chicken katsu? Which do I see the most in Japan?
The answer is tonkatsu uses pork and chicken katsu uses chicken. That’s the difference. The most type you see in Japan or when people say ‘Katsu’, so many times it means ‘Tonkatsu’. Both are so tasty and eaten same ways, such as adding tonkatsu sauce, on top of rice bowl, and by itself!
The ingredients for Chicken Katsu
The ingredients are quite simple! You can buy everything at local stores.
- boneless chicken breast
- ground black pepper
- all-purpose flour
In this recipe, I use beaten eggs to cover chicken breast but if you don’t have eggs, you can simply substitute with water and mayonnaise.
How to make Chicken Katsu
The steps how to make Chicken Katsu is so easy. I will introduce details in the recipes below but here is the easy steps!
- cover chicken breast with flour, egg (or water + mayo), panko in order
- deep fry
That’s it! It is super easy so perfect when you are busy but you want to eat something heavy or filling!
Tips to make Delicious Chicken Katsu
Here are tips that you can’t miss!
- Please use a meat mallet to soften fibers
- Please cover this order : Flour – egg (or water + mayo), panko
Similar recipes to chicken katsu
Here are some ideas that you can try after making chicken katsu!
This chicken katsu recipe is super easy and quick to cook! So, if you are busy and don’t have any tasty food ideas, then chicken katsu is your next move!
- 300 g boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ranch seasoning powder Here to buy. If you don't want this, you can skip!
Deep fry batter
- 2 cups neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc)
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Slice the chicken into ½ inch (1.3 cm) wide pieces. Use a Meat Mallet and make the chicken ¼ to ⅓ inch thick. (6 mm to 8.4 mm).*if the chicken breast is already thinly cut, you can skip this.
- Add salt, black pepper, and ranch seasoning powder(only if you want) on both sides.
- In a medium bowl, add egg and beat.
- Dip each slice of chicken into the flour first and dust with extra flour. Then dip in the beaten egg and dust with extra egg. Then, cover with panko. Remove any excess.
- In a medium pot or pan, add oil. Heat to 340ºF (170ºC).
- Add one piece at a time. If you add more than one at a time, the temperature will drop and it won't cook through.Deep-fry for 3 minutes. Turn the chicken once halfway at the 1 minute 30 seconds mark.
- After 3 minutes total, put it on the paper towel-lined wire rack.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide pieces. You can serve with warm rice or make a sandwich! Don't forget to add tonkatsu sauce!