Chicken katsu is chicken breast covered with panko and deep-fried. It is crispy and easy to cook. Chicken katsu with warm rice is really good but you can make it into a delicious chicken katsu sandwich too!
Do you love katsu? Usually, katsu means pork katsu but did you know chicken katsu is also super tasty?
[st-card myclass=”” id=”314″ label=”” pc_height=”” name=”” bgcolor=”” color=”” webicon=”” readmore=”off” thumbnail=”on” type=””]
This chicken katsu recipe is super easy! It uses simple ingredients with a quick and easy cooking process. So, if you are busy and don’t have any tasty food ideas, then chicken katsu is your next move! By the way, I like eating chicken katsu with warm rice but I personally recommend adding it to a sandwich. It is good for lunch or a snack.
[st-mybox title=”Ideas” webicon=”st-svg-file-text-o” color=”#757575″ bordercolor=”” bgcolor=”#fafafa” borderwidth=”0″ borderradius=”5″ titleweight=”bold” fontsize=”” myclass=”st-mybox-class” margin=”25px 0 25px 0″]
- boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ranch seasoning powder Here to buy. If you don't want this, you can skip!
Deep fry batter
- 3 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise Here to buy Japanese mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko Use more panko if you need.
- 2 cups neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc) (for deep frying)
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Slice the chicken into ½ inch (1.3 cm) wide pieces. Use a Meat Mallet and make the chicken ¼ to ⅓ inch thick. (6 mm to 8.4 mm).*if the chicken breast is already thinly cut, you can skip this.
- Add salt, black pepper, and ranch seasoning powder on both sides.
- In a medium bowl, add mayonnaise and water. Mix well.
- Dip each slice of meat into the flour first and dust with extra flour. Then dip in the mixture of water and mayonnaise and dust with extra flour. Then, cover the chicken with Panko. Remove any excess.
- In a medium pot or pan, add oil. Heat to 340ºF (170ºC).
- Add one piece at a time. If you add more than one at a time, the temperature will drop and it won't cook through.Deep-fry for 3 minutes. Turn the chicken once halfway at the 1 minute 30 seconds mark.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide pieces. You can serve with warm rice or make a sandwich! Don't forget to add tonkatsu sauce!