Savory tomato ketchup fried rice wrapped with soft and sweet omelette is called Omurice. The deliciously soft and yellow eggs on top of the ketchup rice. This is a classic Japanese food and when kids know Omurice is for dinner, they are so happy!
Do you know Omurice? Even if you have never heard of or eaten it in your life, you probably have seen it in Japanese shows, movies, or animations. Fluffy eggs on top of fried ketchup rice is called Omurice (rice omelette) and it is so amazingly good.
What is Omurice?
Omurice is a Yoshoku (western-style Japanese food) type food. Rice usually uses a tomato ketchup base with a soft and fluffy egg on top. Even though we use a lot of ketchup in this dish, we balance it out with milk to make the dish creamy and delicious. That’s why it became a very popular kids’ food.
Where do you find Omurice in Japan?
I think when you visit Japan, there are tons of Japanese foods to choose from, so it might not be your first choice. But if you go to a Kissa-ten(喫茶店) which is “tea-drinking shop”, almost 100%, they have Omurice on their menu! Kissa-ten(喫茶店) is a really good place to visit if you want to feel Japan fully. The master of each cafés is so unique and it’s so fun to hop around some Kissa-ten. Kissa-ten is owned by individual people so each of them has its own atmosphere. It’s not like typical contemporary Japanese restaurant or cafe!
Important steps to make Omurice
In a frying pan, add beaten eggs after adding some butter, and swirl around with chopstick. Don’t cook completely. When the egg is still runny in the frying pan, add the cooked fried rice in the middle of the egg. You have to make sure that the pan isn’t too hot. Wrap the fried rice with the egg and and place the plate on top of the pan and flip the pan to move the omelette rice!
Omurice (Japanese Rice Omelette)
- 1/4 onion about 35-40g
- 50 g ground chicken
- 3 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon milk I use whole milk
- 175 g rice Here is how to cook rice.
- kosher/sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 g butter
- 2 egg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher/sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon milk I use whole milk
Making the fried rice
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Mince the onion.
- Use a pan and turn to medium heat. Add oil (I use sesame oil) and add minced onion. Stir and cook until the onion turns a little clear.
- Add ground chicken. Cook until the color changes.
- Add butter and cook through.
- After the butter melts and is well mixed, add ketchup, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well.
- After stirring, add milk and cook for 3-5 minutes.*1
- Add rice, salt, and black pepper and stir well.
- Put cooked rice in a bowl.
- Use a medium size bowl. Add eggs, salt, black pepper, and milk. Mix well until the yellow color is equal.
- Use a medium size pan and turn the heat to medium-low. Add a little oil (I use vegetable oil). Add the beaten eggs.
- Quickly swirl around with chopsticks.
- Shake the frying pan and if the egg moves it means the bottom side is cooked, then add the ketchup rice on top of the egg. You cover fried rice with egg so place the fried rice in the middle. Cover with egg. That side is gonna be bottom.
- Place a plate on top of pan and flip over.
- Let's serve! Add ketchup or cheese on top of Omurice if you want!