Cabbage rolls are a famous late Autumn dish in Japan. Savory pork filling is rolled with beautiful green cabbage and cooked in a delicious tomato based soup. This dish makes you warm and cozy. This is also the perfect holiday dish! You can make a lot of them and serve at holiday parties with your friends and family!
Kyabetsu Roll is one of my favorite dishes for when the weather gets cold. It uses ground pork wrapped with cabbage and simmered in a tomato base soup. Such a warm and cozy dish.
I remember my mom cooked this when it got cold, and that was a sign that winter would come soon for me. This dish is a type of western-style cuisine in Japan which we call ‘Yo-shyoku’. In Japan, lots of Yo-shyoku dishes are widely cooked and loved, such as omurice, potato croquettes, white stew, and hamburger steak.
What is Kyabetsu Roll
Roll Kyabetsu is how we say this dish in Japan and it is known as Cabbage rolls. It is a dish that is made of ground meat such as pork, chicken or beef, mix with cut onion, adding some seasonings, then wrapped up with cabbage leaves. Simmer in soup (In this recipe, Roll Kyabetsu is simmered in tomato base soup). This dish is known and loved in Japan.
Ingredients for Kyabetsu Roll
- ground pork
- freshly ground black pepper
Similar Recipes to Kyabetsu on Oishi Book
- Tomato and Miso Stewed Hambagu
- Wonton Soup using Leftover Gyoza Wrappers
- Tamago Kinchaku (卵巾着 : Aburaage and Egg)
- toothpick HERE to buy toothpick
- 4 leaves cabbage
- 80 g ground pork
- 1/4 onion 1/4 is about 55-65 g (Change depending on how many Serving you set)
- 1 large egg(s)
- 3 Tablespoon panko
- 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg if you have
- 10 g butter
- Gather all the ingredients
- First cut off the stem then bring the head of cabbage to the sink. Rinse with water while peeling the leaves. Take 10 leaves in total and make sure to wash them.
- Remove any leftover stem or core.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, once boiling add the leaves for 1 minute. Strain the leaves and keep them in a bowl for later.
- Mince the onion.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl and add minced onion and cover it with cling wrap lightly. Microwave for 1 minutes. Leave to cool down.
- Use a medium bowl and add the onion, panko, ground pork, and egg to the onion and mix well.
- Add salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Mix well.
- After mixing everything well, divide into 4 servings.
- Put one serving in front of one of the cabbage leaves. Roll the cabbage up tightly, folding the sides as you roll.
- Use a toothpick to hold the leaf while cooking.
- Use a medium size pan and add butter and the cabbage rolls. Cook with medium heat for 2 minutes for each side.
- Use a medium sized pot and add all of the soup ingredients: water, bouillon, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, sake, ketchup, oyster sauce, honey, and bay leaf.
- Add the cabbage rolls and cover with aluminum foil. Simmer for 30 minutes with medium-low heat.
- After 30 minutes, let's eat!