Tomato and miso is a perfect combination! Simmering Hambagu in them creates a delicious dish that is so flavorful and juicy.
Tomato and Miso Simmered Hambagu
- 340 g ground beef & ground pork mix
- 1/2 large onion
- 5 tbsp panko
- 40 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp Miso
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 100 ml tomato juice
- 1/8 large onion
- 1/2 tomato
To cook rice
- Hambagu is always good with rice so please cook rice first if you want! How to make rice is HERE.
- Chop the onion finely.
- There are 2 options to make the onion soft enough for making your hambagu.The first option is microwave for 1:30 minutes. The second option is to saute with 1 tbsp neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc) until they get brown. Either way remove from heat after softening and leave to cool.*for my recipe I used the microwave method
- While the onion is cooling, add the ground beef and pork in a bowl and add salt. Mix lightly.
- After the onion is cool, put onion, panko, milk, egg, and pepper in the bowl and mix with the meat until everything is combined. You can use a silicone spatula/spoon to mix.
- Divide the mixture into quarters or into 6 if you prefer smaller pieces.
- Toss it from one hand to the other. I do this 8-10 times in order to get rid of the air inside the meat. The ensures the Hambagu won't crack while cooking.
- Shape the Patties 0.8 inch (2cm) thick and make a dent in the middle of the patties.
To cook the Hambagu
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and place the meat patties in the pan. Cook until one side gets brown (about 3-5 minutes).
- Turn the patties over and cook other side till brown.
- Cover with a lid and simmer with low heat for 5 minutes.* You don't need to cook inside completely here.
- After 5 minutes, turn the heat off for now.* Do not move Hambagu to a plate yet.
To make the sauce
- Cut 1/8 of an onion thinly and dice a tomato into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, add miso, mirin, and tomato juice. Mix everything.
- Turn the heat to medium again and add the cut onion, tomato, and the sauce into the pan. Bring it to boil and after boiling cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lid and cook for 10 minutes with low heat.
- Take off the lid and cook another 3 minutes.
- Let's serve! On a plate put rice and add the tomato & miso Hambagu on the side.It is so good.