Tomato and miso stewed Hambagu is a perfect meal! Simmering Hambagu in them creates a delicious dish that is so flavorful and juicy.
Tomato and miso is a perfect combination and Hambagu with them are just amazing dish.
What is Tomato and Miso Stewed Hambagu
As the name suggests, It is Hambagu stewed with tomato and miso. Tomato and Miso are perfect combination and stewed juicy Hambagu with them is just amazing!
Ingredients for Tomato and Miso Stewed Hambagu
- ground beef & ground pork mix
- large onion
- whole milk
- black pepper
- tomato juice
Similar Recipes to Tomato and Miso Stewed Hambagu on Oishi Book
- Loco Moco (ロコモコ : A Hawaiian Style Bowl)
- Hambagu ( 和風ハンバーグ – Japanese Hamburger Steak )
- Homemade McDonald’s Tsukimi Burger (月見バーガー – Moon Gazing burger)
Tomato and Miso Simmered Hambagu
- 340 g ground beef & ground pork mix The good beef/pork ratio for Hambagu is 2:1 (beef 227g / pork 113g). 100% beef is ok but it will be a bit greasy and less juicy than combined meat.
- 1/2 large onion 1/2 is about about 115-135 g (Change depending on how many Serving you set)
- 5 Tablespoon panko
- 3 ½ Tablespoon whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Miso
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 100 ml tomato juice
- 1/4 large onion
- 1/2 tomato 1/2 is about about 50-60 g (Change depending on how many Serving you set)
To cook rice
- Hambagu is always good with rice so please cook rice first if you want! How to make rice is HERE.
- Chop onion finely.
- In a small bowl, add panko and whole milk, and soak it for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, lightly squeeze and remove the milk.
- There are 2 options to make the onion soft enough for making your hambagu.The first option is microwave for 1 minute with a cling wrap. The second option is to saute with 1 tbsp neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, rice bran, canola, etc) until they get brown. Either way remove from heat after softening and leave to cool.*for my recipe I used the microwave method
- While the onion is cooling, add ground beef, pork and salt in a bowl and . Mix until the meat is well mixed and gets sticky.
- After the onion is cool, put the onion, the soaked panko, egg, nutmeg and black pepper in the bowl and mix with the meat until everything is combined. You can use a silicone spatula/spoon to mix.
- Divide the mixture into quarters or into 4.
- Toss it from one hand to the other. I do this 8-10 times in order to get rid of the air inside the meat. The ensures the Hambagu won't crack while cooking.
- Shape the Patties 0.8 inch (2cm) thick and make a dent in the middle of the patties.
- Cut onion thinly and dice a tomato into chunks.
- In a small bowl, add miso, mirin, and tomato juice. Mix everything.
To cook the the stewed Hambagu
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and place the meat patties in the pan. Cook until one side gets brown (about 4-5 minutes).
- Turn the patties over and cook other side till brown (about 4-5 minutes).
- Turn the heat off once and take out the Hambagu patties to a plate once.
- In the pan, add about 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and the cut onion. Cook with the medium heat until the onion gets softer and clear color.
- Add the sauce (miso, mirin, and tomato juice mixture) to the pan. Bring it to boil once and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to low and add the Hambagu patties back to the pan. Add the cut tomato on top. Cook for 12 minutes with a lid.
- Take off the lid and cook another 3 minutes.
- Let's serve! On a plate put rice and add the tomato & miso Hambagu on the side.It is so good.