Loco Moco is a classic Hawaiian food. It has warm rice with juicy Hambagu (Japanese Hamburger Steak), fried egg, and some vegetables on the side. It is almost like a Hambagu bowl!
Loco Moco is a Hawaiian food but this is a really famous and popular dish in Japan, especially among the younger generation. Lots of cafes in Japan have Loco Moco on their menu.
What is Loco Moco?
Loco Moco is Hawaiian local food! It is a dish of rice with a hamburger steak, fried egg, and gravy sauce. In Japan, it is often called loco moco rice bowl (ロコモコ丼), and is usually topped with vegetables such as tomato, lettuce, cabbage, and avocado.
Ingredients for Loco Moco
- unsalted butter
- all-purpose flour
- soy sauce
- black pepper
Similar Recipes to Loco Moco on Oishi Book
- Healthy Tofu Hambagu (豆腐ハンバーグ)
- Tamago Don (玉子丼 : Egg Donburi/bowl )
- Hambagu ( 和風ハンバーグ – Japanese Hamburger Steak )
- 1/4 onion 1/4 is about 55-65 g (Change depending on how many Serving you set)
- 50 g mushrooms any mushrooms. I used shiitake mushrooms for this,
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 200 ml water
- 2 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Loco moco topping options
How to make sauce
- Cut the onion and mushrooms thinly.
- Use the pan you used for making Hambagu. Wipe lightly with a paper towel.
- Turn the heat to low and add butter. When it's melted, add the onion.
- When the onion gets softer and clear, add mushrooms. Cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat off once, then add all-purpose flour and mix.
- Turn the heat back to low and add water gradually while stirring.
- When it gets smoother, add soy sauce, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything well.
Let's make Loco Moco
- Prepare a plate or deep bowl, add rice first, then add Hambagu on top. I like to add some cabbage on the side! Add the sauce you made to finish the dish.