One of the classic bento meals, Shogayaki, is so quick to make and incredibly tasty. You can literally finish two bowls of rice with a few slices of Shogayaki! I am not exaggerating!
If you know Shogayaki, I think you are an expert Japanese food lover! Shogayaki is loved by Japanese people, but somehow Japanese restaurants in foreign countries don’t usually offer Shogayaki so this is not a well-known meal outside of Japan. It’s such an easy recipe that you can make it in less than 15 minutes. Add on top of a bowl of rice and it’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
One of the many things that I love about this meal is that the ingredients are so simple. You only need,
- soy sauce
That’s all the seasoning required! If you cook Japanese/Asian food often, you probably have all the ingredients at home already.
Grilled Ginger Pork
- 300 g pork loin
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
Let's cook rice first.
- Grilled ginger pork is great with rice. So cook rice first. How to make rice is HERE
Let's make Grilled Ginger Pork
- Slice the onion.
- Cut the pork into about 1.5 inch (4cm) pieces.
- In a small bowl, add the cut pork and all-purpose flour. Mix them well.
- In a medium pan, turn the heat to medium low and add vegetable oil and onion. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cut pork.Cook the onion and the pork through.
- Add all the ingredients (sugar, minced ginger, soy sauce, mirin, and sake) and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Let's serve! Add cooked rice on the side and thinly sliced cabbage.