Kabocha Crème Brûlée (かぼちゃのクリームブリュレ) is a great fall dessert. It is super easy to make this dessert at home and you only need a couple ingredients!
You only need five simple ingredients – pumpkin, heavy cream, milk, sugar, and eggs. These ingredients make for an exquisitely rich and elegant dessert. In this recipe, I introduce 2 options for how to make a crispy caramel coating on top of the Crème Brûlée. Most recipes require using a kitchen torch but I know there are so many people who don’t have one in their kitchen. Even I don’t own one for now, but you can still make tasty and easy pumpkin Crème Brûlée!
2 Ways to Make Crispy Caramelized Sugar on Surface
There are three ways to make a crispy, glass-like glaze on your Crème Brûlée.
- Kitchen torch – Melt the sugar with a kitchen torch until the sugar caramelizes evenly.
- Broiling – Set the oven to HIGH broil and cook for 5 minutes.
I strongly recommend using a kitchen torch but I understand if you don’t have it. Then do No2! It might be challenging but you can make it crispiness on surface of the Crème Brulee.
Similar Recipes to Pumpkin Crème Brulee on Oishi Book
How to make Pumpkin Crème Brulee
Kabocha Crème Brulee
- 300 g kabocha After removing the skin and seeds.
- 150 ml whole milk
- 100 ml heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- sugar for top of the Brulee
- Oven : Preheat the oven 335°F (168°c).
- Kabocha : Remove the kabocha seeds and skin. Cut the kabocha into about 2 inches (5cm) wide and 2-3 inches long pieces. Move them to a microwave safe bowl and cover with cling wrap. Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Egg : Beat the eggs.
- In a blender, add kabocha, sugar, milk, and heavy cream. Blend everything.
- Then, move it to a medium or large bowl. Add beaten egg to the bowl. Mix well until it is smooth.
- Add the mixture into each baking ramekin.
- Put all of the ramekins into a large baking pan. Carefully pour the boiling water into the pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Move to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, take out the baking pan and take out each ramekin from the baking pan. Put all of them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top of the creme brulee with sugar and tap so it's even.
Option 1 : Using kitchen torch to finalize (I recommend this way)
- Melt the sugar on top of each creme brulee and form a crispy shell.
Option 2 : Using Oven to finalize
- Set the oven to HIGH broil and wait for 5 minutes.
- Put Creme Brulee to the oven and keep it as close to the flame as possible. Please keep a close eye on it in order not to burn too much. *You can put the creme brulees on one baking pan so it is easy to put to the oven.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes but be sure to remove them if the surface gets nicely brown before that time. Just turn off the oven and take them out.