Sake Takikomi Gohan is an easy dish that you can put all the ingredients into a rice cooker and just wait until the rice is cooked! The flavor of the ingredients soak right in.
Are you looking for a delicious fall dish that is super easy to make? I want to introduce sake takikomi gohan that is made by just adding into a rice cooker and just cook.
What is Takikomi Gohan
Takikomi gohan is a popular rice dish that is also called gomoku gohan(五目ご飯). In the Kansai area, it is also called kayaku-meshi(加薬ご飯).
It is mixed rice made by cooking some ingredients together with the rice. There are so many Takikomi Gohan recipes but the staple ingredients are salt, soy sauce, sake, dashi stock, etc. It is often made with seasonal ingredients in the autumn harvest, such as mushrooms, fish, or fall vegetables.
Cooking all the ingredients with rice has the advantage of allowing the rice to absorb all the flavor of the ingredients. You can eat rice and side dishes at the same time, and it is delicious even when cold, so it is often used as an ekiben(駅弁:bento box you can buy at station kiosks in Japan).
What is Sake Takikomi Gohan
Sake means salmon and takikomi gohan, as I mentioned earlier, means mixed rice. Sake is an amazing ingredients that is perfect for takikomi gohan!
Q&A : Do I Need Rice Cooker to Make Takikomi Gohan?
I recommend using a rice cooker when making Takikomi Gohan because it is easy to make by putting all the ingredients in one place and you can just wait. But you can make it using a pot and stove. In this recipe, I use a rice cooker!
Ingredients for Sake Takikomi Gohan
- shiitake mushrooms
Q&A : How to Prepare Salmon for Takikomi Gohan
If you put uncooked salmon into your rice cooker directly, the salmon might keep an odd fish smell. So before putting the salmon to the rice cooker, please follow these steps.
- remove any skin or bones from the uncooked salmon
- in a microwave safe bowl, add the salmon and sake
- cover with cling wrap lightly
- microwave for 3 minutes
- open the cling wrap and let it cool down
Similar Recipes to Sake Takikomi Gohan on Oishi Book
Sake Takikomi Gohan
- green onion
- soy sauce
- if salmon has skin or bones, remove them. Then move the salmon and sake to a microwave safe bowl. Cover with cling wrap lightly and microwave for 3 minutes.*1
- After microwaving, remove the sake from the salmon. You can use a paper towel and pat to extract sake as much as possible.
- Wash shiitake mushrooms and discard the stems of the shiitake mushrooms, then thinly slice the caps.
- Wash rice and move to a rice cooker. Add water, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and dashi powder. Then add the salmon and shiitake mushrooms on top.
- Close the rice cooker and start cooking.
- After done cooking, open the rice cooker and mix everything. Serve to a bowl and add your favorite toppings such as green onion, salt, or soy sauce!