Shio ramen is noodle dish beloved by so many generations! It has deliciously light flavors so even after eating this ramen, you don’t feel like you ate too much food. You can make Shio Ramen so easily at home.
Shio ramen is my favorite ramen ever! You can get this ramen at ramen shops but did you know you can make it super easy at home?
What is Shio Ramen
Shio means salt in Japanese. It is made with salt and dashi stock and it is one of the more popular ramen varieties along with shoyu ramen. It has been eaten in Japan for a long time.
But there aren’t many Ramen shops with salt ramen on their menu. Salt ramen is much less common than soy sauce, miso, and tonkotsu. The reason? It’s because the flavor is only salt so it is difficult to keep the flavor consistent because the taste is greatly influenced by the soup stock. Ramen enthusiasts said shio ramen is the most difficult seasoning to get right when making ramen so if you want to see the skill of the restaurant, order salt ramen.
By the way, ‘Tonkotsu Ramen’ is a derivative of Shio Ramen!
Ingredients for making Shio Ramen
Here are the Shio Ramen ingredients!
So simple right? This is the all you need 🙂
Recommended Instant Shio Ramen
If you have access to go to an Asian grocery store or order online, and you want to try instant shio ramen, here are some options!
Shio Ramen Toppings
How to make Shio Ramen
- 1 pack ramen noodles HERE to buy
- water for boiling
Ingredients for soup
- 500 ml water
- 2 1/2 teaspoon torigara soup base
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Make the noodles first! This step depends on which noodle you use. I use this type. I boiled 1000ml water (or enough water to cover the noodle), add enough for 1 person and cook for 4 minutes. Drain water.
Let's cook shio ramen soup!
- In a pot, add water, torigara soup base, and salt. Turn the heat to medium and bring it to a boil.
- After boiling, add sesame oil to finish. Stir once and turn the heat off.
Let's make shio ramen!
- In a deep bowl, add the noodle then soup. Add your choice of topping!