Matcha Gateau Chocolat is an altered version of gateau chocolat. It has a deep bitterness and sweetness in the cake and it is loved by all! It is also a great gift 🙂
I am a big fan of Matcha! I introduced some of my favorite Matcha recipes in my blog but here is another Matcha dessert idea! Matcha gateau Chocolat is really good dessert. It only needs four ingredients!
What is Matcha gateau Chocolat
Matcha gateau chocolat is not a popular cake in Japan, but, some cake shops in Japan have this cake and it is really good. Matcha gateau chocolat is simply a matcha version of gateau chocolat. Matcha makes it bitter with a richer taste!
What is the difference between Gateau Chocolat and Chocolate Terrine
Both gateau chocolat and chocolate terrine are chocolate cakes and they look similar. However, gateau chocolat uses a circle shape and cake flour(or all-purpose flour), whereas, chocolate terrine uses a rectangle shape and it doesn’t use cake flour(nor all-purpose flour).
These days, the definition of gateau chocolat and chocolate terrine became ambiguous, because of convenience store desserts. Even though there are some differences between them, nowadays, chocolate terrine uses cake flour or is shaped in a circle, and gateau chocolat doesn’t use cake flour or some definitions are ignored. So it is safe to say you can say it is chocolate terrine if the texture is like Nama Choco(melt in your mouth chocolate) and baked cake or cookie texture is gateau chocolat.
Ingredients for making Matcha Gateau Chocolat
Here are the ingredients for making Matcha gateau chocolat!
- white chocolate
- unsalted butter
- whole milk
- large eggs
- Matcha powder
- cake flour
You can get them at your local grocery store!
Q&A Which Matcha Powder should I get?
I recommend this matcha powder on Amazon!
But if you want to buy it at your local grocery store, just make sure you’re buying ‘MATCHA’ powder not ‘Green tea’. Green tea can be matcha but green tea is a group of all other types of tea such as 煎茶(Zencha)、玉露(Gyokuro)、番茶(Bancha)、抹茶(Matcha)、and 焙じ茶(Hojicha). So it can be Zencha, Gyokuro, or Hojicha. So pick ‘Matcha’!
Tips to Make How to Make Matcha Gateau Chocolat
There are some tips to make tasty Matcha Gateau Chocolat!
1. Use 6 oz ramekins or smaller sizes
Just be careful not to add too much batter in each ramekin to avoid under-baking. I use 6 oz ramekins and add 100ml to 130ml batter to each ramekin.
2. Be careful when you melt white chocolate
When you melt white chocolate, be careful not to get water in the bowl. If water gets in the bowl, the chocolate won’t melt. I melt the chocolate using the double boiling method. First I add water to a medium pot. When the water starts boiling, turn the heat low and place a bowl with the chocolate in it on top. Then stir until the chocolate melts completely.
3. Use a tooth pick to check
After finishing baking, check with a toothpick if the cake is baked inside. If it isn’t cooked, bake another 10 minutes.
How to make Matcha Gateau Chocolat
CHECK Please follow Instagram and Pinterest to get the latest recipes! DM or comment me on Instagram if you have any questions or feedback!
Matcha Gateau Chocolat
- 4 4 oz oven safe ramekins HERE to buy
- 100 g white chocolate
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoon whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 10 g sugar
- 10 g Matcha powder HERE to buy
- 15 g cake flour
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add butter and microwave for 10-20 seconds depending on your microwave.
- Cut white chocolate into small pieces if necessary.Prepare a small sized bowl and add the white chocolate. In a medium pan, add water and turn the heat to low. When the water gets warm, put the white chocolate bowl on top, and make the white chocolate completely melt. * be careful not to get any water in the white chocolate bowl. If water gets in, the white chocolate won't melt.
- Separate egg yolk and egg white in a different bowls. Mix egg yolk well.Mix egg white until it forms stiff peaks. Then, add sugar and mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 320°F(160°C).
- Add the butter, whole milk, and egg yolk into the white chocolate bowl and mix well.
- Use a fine mesh sieve to shift Matcha powder and cake flour and add to the bowl. Mix everything.
- Add the egg white and mix in by folding.
- Add the batter to your small ramekins. Each ramekin should get 100 to 130ml of batter in this recipe.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- After 50 minutes, take the ramekins out of the oven, then let them cool down. *1
- Shift Matcha powder or sugar on top of the cake to finish!
Leave a Reply